Wednesday, December 24, 2008

merry christmas

Well it is 7 mintes til christmas. We had a great christmas eve. We went to dinner with my dad and his new girlfriend to the roaring 20's. It was nice. I think the kids loved the piano after they got used to the loudness of the pipes. (For those of you who don't know, its a large organ that comes out of the ground and rises up onto a stage and the entire room is surrounded by the pipes-so it is really loud) I even put in a request for htem to play somewhere over the rainbow for vanir!
After that we decided to be catholics. Vanir wanted to do something religious on christmas eve, so we busted in on a chritsmas eve service of our local catholics. As we walk in the door, I see a lady that runs the island preschool and her son, Ethan , Payson's buddy from class. It's then I remeber that I still owe them money. I hate that. The service was okay. Alot of rituals I'm not used to. The choir was good. They sang a good Amy grant song, Breath of Heaven ,that is one of my favorites. The kids were a little skeptical at all the crosses, and women touching their faces and blessing them, but we survived, the people were very friendly.
So, now I sit here next to a snoring man who promised me a night I won't forget......well......I think he forgot.
I have a cheapskate confession...this year I did something very, very, tacky but I dont feel guilty at all. One of the larger families in our ward does this and I decided to give it a whirl. I put each childs presents in a seperate black garbage bag. There I said it. It's out. Whew, It does feel better. I don't care. I'm simplifying. Yeah..... I am eliminating waste. I couldn't put myself to buying the paper, wrapping for hours --alone and then cleaning up all the paper afterwards. It is my new tradition I added this year. Sorry kids, it's glad bags this year--BE GLAD!

3 comments:

Prouses said...

Be Glad... that was so funny. You know your kids are totally going to remember this when they're older and say... "Mom was sooo cheap!! One year she wrapped our presents in black garbage bags! Where was dad in all of this!"
You're nuts!

Allyson said...

yeah where was dad!!!! LIMA! how could you! i kinda like the black bag thing. maybe i'll try it next year. sound a lot faster!! and we are suppose to be trying to SIMPLIFY our lives right!

Unknown said...

listen...this is how i did it. You tie a different color ribbon on each black bag. Then u have to play a game to decide who's bag is who's. The kids liked that. Then I actually told them that when santa delivers the gifts they are always in black bags,in his sleigh. I just decided to leave them in the authentic black santa bags. the kids thought that was better. gifts to other people we wrap, from santa we leave the way he left them to us, untouched. santa can't wrap every gift, to every child!!!they liked the thought that santa HELD THAT bag!!! yeah, I'm good. It is a trend that will be sweeping the nation next year, you'll see.